We're just five weeks away from heading to Black Rock City, and we've decided to be mildly daring. We're sharing our plan for an Open Kitchen Camp on the playa with our ether friends and followers. Specifically, we are planning something for 'Friends of Open Kitchen' on the playa, so comment on this post if you'd like to be on our guest list.
My husband (who is joining the Rangers this year) has been nagging me to share a Getting Started checklist, and I finally did so tonight. I've reposted it below in case other folks would also find it useful.
The Man burns in 37 days. See you there!
GETTING STARTED CHECKLIST
Since many folks are first-timers, we thought some basic information might be helpful. For vets, this will be a good refresher.
A checklist of things to get done this week:
- Buy a ticket (http://tickets.burningman.
com/, craigslist, or Sports Basement)
- Secure time off work
- Read the First-Timer's Guide ( http://www.burningman.com/
first_timers/ ) and the Survival Guide ( http://www.burningman.com/ preparation/event_survival / )
- Buy a cheap mountain bike to ride in BRC
- Shop thrift stores for (or make) fun costumes to wear, "if that's your thing"
- A big change this year: NO TICKET SALES AT THE GATE. Purchase by July 31 if you want to avoid the will call lines and get your ticket by mail. Tickets purchased after July 31 will be available at will call. Last day to buy a ticket - period - is August 22.
- Don't come down for just the weekend, if you are able to come earlier. The best days in BRC are Weds, Thurs and Fri - these days are filled with artsy/creative encounters. By Friday evening, the crowd gets more touristy and the the college kids start to party.
- Entry into BRC is permitted starting at midnight on Sunday, August 24th.
- Exodus from Black Rock tends to be on Sunday or Monday. The Man burns on Saturday night, the Temple burns on Sunday night. I'm planning to leave on Sunday, since my husband and I NEED a day at home doing nothing before heading back to work...but we are missing the Temple burn. If you want to suck in everything, then plan to leave on Monday instead.
- Burning Man organizers have put together a resource listing to help you with playa prep.