Last year's Burning Man community spoke loudly about starting efforts to make the event more eco-friendly. How can we reduce the playa's carbon footprint? How can we recycle or reuse building materials, food supplies, bottles and cans, or other discards? Should there be requirements imposed upon art cars? And so on.
Accordingly, this year's Burning Man theme - "The Green Man" - expresses the twining of nature in human life. Many of the community's requests for ecological awareness are being addressed. And finally, there is an open invitation to the community for contributions to a showcase of "art, earth sciences and technological innovation." If you're interested in participating, read on - and contact Kitty Wells via e-mail or at 650-255-3046 before July 1st.
Burning Man's Green Man Pavilion:
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
Inviting Artists, Cleantech Innovators, Builders and Visionaries
In 2007, the pavilion that surrounds Man presents a visually and sensory rich space where breakthrough ideas and proven environmental technologies are displayed and interacted with against the backdrop of the world's largest participant-created event. Traditionally, the space under the man has been exclusively devoted to art, but the Green Man Pavilion will be different this year. The 30,000 square foot exhibition space synthesizes art and culture, sciences and technological innovation to address issues and solutions around: Water – Waste - Transportation – Energy & Food. As well as: Education - Green Building - Toxics & City Planning. It's your opportunity to make an impact with non-traditional, non-commercial, interactive and creative messaging about some of the biggest issues facing the planet. This one-of-a-kind opportunity doesn't stop here -- there are many tours these projects can go on, or someone may be interested to take your project further!! Please note: these displays will NOT be burned.
We're getting some great proposals, and are looking for more! We also need project leaders to make existing themes a reality. So please send us your ideas or sign up to volunteer with us. This is an awesome area to participate in multidisciplinary teams of artists, cleantech innovators, and practical hands-on builders -- creating opportunities for connection, collaboration, innovation, research and development with some of the planet's most innovative thinkers, dreamers and doers.
DEADLINE: The deadline for proposing your idea is July 1st, so please get them in.
SKILLS NEEDED FOR APPROVED EXHIBITS CURRENTLY SEEKING PARTICIPANTS
All are welcome! From communications designers and conceptual artists, to people skilled in building, welding, and wiring stuff together. Cleantech innovators in renewable energy to materials to green building to water purification etc etc. From electricians to carpenters to media artists to craftspeople to folks just plain passionate about environmental issues, check out the list below for volunteer opportunities or propose something different altogether.
GREEN PAVILION EXHIBITS CURRENTLY SEEKING PARTICIPANTS
1. House of the Future – Cross section of a house- 2 walls meeting where room is exposed. (dry wall, solar panel on the roof) Thermal wrap between studs, recycled denim, fiber glass. Use a insulator gun to determine which material insulates best. Use analog thermometer. Feature cutting edge green consumer technologies.
2. Climate Change Display - Open to ideas. One option- use standard kiosk as the basis for information sharing.
3. Ecological Footprint - Computer kiosk with software on how to figure out your ecological footprint. Surround kiosk with signage on what an ecological footprint it, ways to reduce it, and graphic representations. Could be built on standard kiosk.
4. Carbon Footprint - Giant (10' X 5' X 3') footprint filled with carbon/mesquite charcoal. With standard kiosk next to it with information on what a carbon footprint is how and how to reduce it.
5. Next Generation Lighting - This could possibly be the display that was at GreenHouse Open House. Show LED vs. Tungsten, focusing on the heat output. Could make bacon on a Tungsten light bulb.
6. X Number of Ways to Save the Planet - Clever, engaging way to spread the word. Ideas welcome! Considering to spread throughout the Pavilion? BRC?
7. Burning Man Earth Display - Projected demo.
8. Dead Battery Display - Have the amount of dead batteries an average US household goes through in a year in some form of display with the standard kiosk. Alongside, we will have gadgets that traditionally used batteries but now use alternative sources of energy.
9. BM Alternative Energy Monitoring Display - Will show what our solar array and wind turbines are doing. Could also use standard kiosk for explanations.
10. Lost Soundscapes - ManBase ambient sounds from extinct natural environments.
11. Cradle to Cradle Business Model - Standard kiosk (with some artistic cradles) highlighting the kinds of policies that companies are adopting under this model.
12. Transportation - Electric / Plug-In Hybrid Cars / Conversions. Display biodiesel / biodiesel reactor.