This isn't a typical conference post, but this sidebar evening at DEMOfall 2006 is worth mention for its sheer fabulousness. Andy Abramson set a new high bar for conference dining last night, masterminding an evening of wine and food tasting. After attending the DEMOfall launch reception and visiting the networking at the NVCA dinner, a few of us ventured forth to Molly's in the San Diego Marriott, where Andy worked with the head chef to plan the evening.
Wine expert Oren Michels has a detailed post of the menu and its wine pairings, and John Furrier recorded some fun audio for podcasting. I won't try to compete with Oren's notes, but I will add to the 'tasting meme' with my own favorites:
Food. Anything that I can still remember the taste of fondly (a day later) is on this list.
- Amuse-Bouche - Serrano ham, dates, and various other elements; unfortunately, this was not listed out on the menu so I don't have a detailed description (also Dan Farber's favorite, if I recall correctly)
- Second Course - Parmesan Flan, with apple parsley salad, marcona almond and saba drizzle
- Fourth Course - Sage Roasted Squab Brest with fregola, black kale, squash and pomegranate reduction
- Fifth Course - Maine Scallop with smoked bacon and tomato braised romano beans
Wine. I don't have terrific winespeak, but I know delicious when I taste it:
- 1990 Ridge Geyserville Zinfandel
- 1985 BV Georges de Latour Reserve
- 2001 Avenger
- 1999 Cornas Domaine Clape
Andy, whose wine cellar has close to 10,000 bottles, brought all 22 wines from his personal collection. There simply aren't kudos enough!